Skip to main content

The Happy-Girl Sweater....


These first pictures were right when the sweater was finished. As you can see, she is thrilled with it and for that I am happy. Otherwise, this sweater is not my favorite.



For whatever reason, the sleeves (the first time I finished the sweater) were too tight. I think fellow knitters had mentioned this on Ravelry, and although I had her try them on a couple of times, they were too small. After I knitted the yoke done is when I decided the sleeves were not going to work. At this point some of my kind and loving friends and family tried to convince me to weave in the ends and give it to my second daughter, then re-knit another for my oldest. But, well, the colors were those chosen by H and Z had picked out her own, and well, I just couldn't! So, I frogged and re-knit. Then I didn't like the yoke, which I changed around a few times and I still don't necessarily love it. I think the colors don't have enough contrast-but she LOVES it, and for that I am happy!



I picked up too many stitches for the bands, so it's a bit wavy. I was concerned about it pulling up too much from the bottom, so I over compensated. The buttons came from a place on line- I think it's called Cute as a Button. They have a wonderful selection, but I should have read the description better. I was very surprised to see that our chosen buttons were plastic! I thought they were going to be metal! But, my daughter said, "Oh Mom, they are like sparkly, shiny jewels down the front!" There you have it. She loves them, so for that I am happy.


The pattern was nice, except for the sleeve issue. I made the largest size sleeves for the 8-10 size sweater AND the 6-8 sweater I made for my second daughter. The yarn, Wool of the Andes from Knitpicks, was excellent. It was very forgiving even after being knit and re-knit several times! I like the colors and the feel of the yarn. I think it will hold up well.



Specs:
Pattern: Drive Thru- Wendy Bernard
Size: 8-10
Mods: larger diameter sleeves- and I think I made the sleeves and the body longer
Yarn: Wool of the Andes


Rav link here

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm with the happy girl. I think the sweater is beautiful. The colors, the fit, the workmanship all good. Nice to see such enjoyment with a lovely knitted item. Love it!
Unknown said…
What a fabulous sweater on a darling little girl! Her sweater poses makes her seem so "growing up!" (she's not grown up by far yet thankfully!)

Looks great on her and looks like you did a lot of work--you are so talented!! I'm always impressed!

Popular posts from this blog

Move over Granny....

So, I have mentioned the "c" word before and now I have officially finished a crochet scarf- albeit a while ago. Someohow the post got lost in the din. Interestingly, My Man, really isn't a fan of this scarf soley because it's crochet. How amusing that in his mind crochet is linked with Grannies! Apparently there are others who share his feelings. (Nanny-O? Mimi-O?) I just can't see it, I really can't. I think crochet is lovely and am exceedingly proud at having taught myself...well, with a lot of help ( Happy Hooker ). In the beginning I bought this kit from Lion Brand- oh, about 5 years ago. It could have been more, I am not sure. I started once and gave up. Then I got invited to Ravelry and was taking pics of my stash and I found it. I decided to give it another try. After I got about half of the scarf done, I didn't like the pattern, so I decided to make a variation of one from the aforementioned Happy Hooker book. And now, it looks like this...

70's Kitty Hat

Did I really never publish this? What a blast from the past. All I remember is that the hat fit The Fonz the best :) I guess it's along the line of the pussycat hat!

Mini sweater....

It's so fun to knit for pets because: 1.) it's a fast knit 2.) the victim always looks so cute in their sweater : ) This sweater is for Jake, a little puppy we babysat for 3 weeks. This is Jake not sitting in his new sweater. I made up the pattern by doing the math. It was a quick knit- mostly because he weighs 6 pounds. The yarn is leftover Encore Bulky from a baby bunting- I used this pattern as a prototype for one for Fonzie. This is Jake still not sitting. This is Jake sitting in his new sweater : )