Skip to main content

(Inspired by) Ms. Marigold

Thank goodness My Man came home to take a picture of me - the self-portraits were AWFUL.

I happily cast on for Ms. Marigold from Zephyr style. I ordered the pattern during the summer, but was newly-inspired by Fancy Pants' version.
I thought I could wear it layered with a long sleeve shirt now that fall has reached Italy. I cast on and took off, using Berroco Touche.

I knit down to the waist area and tried it on.

Ahhhhhhh!!!!!! The back was too narrow (I know I have to wear something underneath it, but it wasn't even close to covering my bra straps.)

Rather than being the cute vest in my mind, it was like a knitted bustier. I am not that well-endowed, but yet the sides veered toward my arms and off my chest, and it was not pretty.

I decided to try again. This is the first time I altered a pattern so much. I changed the number cast on, changed the increases, added decreases, changed the neckline finishing, altered the ruffle and all the bands. So, what did I get? Something I really like! I am shocked, to say the least, and happy.

I wish I could figure out where I went wrong on the original. I was on gauge. Maybe I just needed a bigger size, but I started with a size that seemed plenty big. Someday I will try again with the original pattern and see what happens.

I am not against ripping. What's the point of making something that I know I won't like or wear? I really do see knitted items as more acceptable ways to store yarn! I know, I have issues.

Comments

Anonymous said…
LOL!! "knitted items as more acceptable ways to store yarn!" I've never heard that before, but it's PERFECT!

Your "inspired" knit is very cute!
nanny said…
Ditto....and I love the curtains!
amanda said…
Good for you for taking control of your knitting! It looks great as a sweater vest over the long sleeved top. Nice work!
Unknown said…
Cuuute Sweater! I haven't been to knitty for a while. (that's my name for your blog!)

Popular posts from this blog

Move over Granny....

So, I have mentioned the "c" word before and now I have officially finished a crochet scarf- albeit a while ago. Someohow the post got lost in the din. Interestingly, My Man, really isn't a fan of this scarf soley because it's crochet. How amusing that in his mind crochet is linked with Grannies! Apparently there are others who share his feelings. (Nanny-O? Mimi-O?) I just can't see it, I really can't. I think crochet is lovely and am exceedingly proud at having taught myself...well, with a lot of help ( Happy Hooker ). In the beginning I bought this kit from Lion Brand- oh, about 5 years ago. It could have been more, I am not sure. I started once and gave up. Then I got invited to Ravelry and was taking pics of my stash and I found it. I decided to give it another try. After I got about half of the scarf done, I didn't like the pattern, so I decided to make a variation of one from the aforementioned Happy Hooker book. And now, it looks like this...

Mini sweater....

It's so fun to knit for pets because: 1.) it's a fast knit 2.) the victim always looks so cute in their sweater : ) This sweater is for Jake, a little puppy we babysat for 3 weeks. This is Jake not sitting in his new sweater. I made up the pattern by doing the math. It was a quick knit- mostly because he weighs 6 pounds. The yarn is leftover Encore Bulky from a baby bunting- I used this pattern as a prototype for one for Fonzie. This is Jake still not sitting. This is Jake sitting in his new sweater : )

70's Kitty Hat

Did I really never publish this? What a blast from the past. All I remember is that the hat fit The Fonz the best :) I guess it's along the line of the pussycat hat!