Skip to main content

Inception of the She-Knit "Homespun" Haters Club


I cannot believe there is a group of crafters on Ravelry- or in existence anywhere- who loves this yarn. I cannot tell you how much I hate it.

It all started very simply. I have started crocheting a little here and there, so I got the notion in my head that I was going to try to crochet a blanket. I can't even remember how I happened upon this pattern. I thought it was just beautiful, I still do.

I was wholly unfamiliar with the Homespun and innocently let the Lionbrand site help me purchase the 2 million skeins I would need to complete this project. The pattern was labeled "Advanced Beginner." With my army of Amigurumi creatures smiling at me, I thought I could handle it. I knew the yarn was synthetic, which is not my favorite, but I knew I wanted something I could easily wash and dry. I honestly can't imagine hand-washing a blanket!

When the package of yarn arrived, I was disappointed. It's "hairy yarn," people. I am not a fan of hairy yarn. It's hairy acrylic yarn. It has these wavy bits in it that remind me of poodle hair. Their coats get wavy. But poodle hair would be better becuase it would be soft and not have that certain "crunchy" element.



With high hopes and hook in hand, I set out. The first trouble came with Row 1. The chain stitches were so hairy I couldn't really see where one started and one ended. I struggled and struggled. Finally I decided to draw a diagram, and color-code the last dozen stitches of each row to help me get started on the next row. Once I got the pattern rolling, I was okay. It was a lot of work.


At long last, I had something to show for my struggle. I proudly spread the few rows out for my hubby to see, and he said, "Oh, it's going to be one of those "holey" blankets." HISSSSSSSssss, I could hear the wind going out of my sails. I was already talking myself into a lot here, and that was all it took. Ugh.

Now I have all this homespun- what to do with it??? I could gift Jan (from SnB) with a dozen shawls from it- she despises the Homespun more than I do : ) I started the search for another pattern. I have given up being able to crochet it- or any blanket, maybe. The other sample is a "waves" pattern....it wasn't so great either.

I think I am going to try some version of the Ombre blanket in, well, you guessed it, Last Minute Knitted Gifts. It won't be nearly as lovely as the pricey alpaca used in the book, that's for certain. I just don't want to have to stash this stuff- I will have to deal with it sooner or later!

So, I hereby would like to start the She-Knit "Homespun" Haters Club. (Anyone remember the He-Man Woman haters club from Little Rascals?) Okay, Jan, you can be president, and I'll be VP!

Comments

Unknown said…
I smell the smell of decoy yarn impostering as this hairy homespun!! What to do!
Robyn said…
Cindy, I seem to have found your blog just fine per Jan's instruction. It was nice meeting you today! I just finished two hats with this homespun stuff. My husband actually picked out the yarn when we were at a Michaels in the States. the hats turned out pretty nice, and both my husband and son like the way it feels. I was irritated with the quality of the yarn, being that there is a string running through it keeping it together.

Anyway, check out my blog when you get a chance and I'll see in you in the meantime!

Robyn

Popular posts from this blog

Friendship Blanket Done.....

To say our little knit group was "close knit" is the perfect cliche! When we moved to Italy, I desperately missed having a knitting circle and the weekly meet-ups. I tried for a long time to find other knitters- then I decided to create a few of my own. I started offering knitting classes. It went well, I am proud to say everyone who signed up WAS able to learn to knit. There was a teen-age girl, however, who was very resistant. At some point during this time, I remembered that a woman from my Italian language class had mentioned that she liked to knit. Then I met my dear friend Stacy who had the bug to learn how to knit. So there! I created my own little group! We were intermittent and not very focused, but boy did we have fun! I really looked forward to our meet ups. Then, like all good things, our friend Janny had to move. We decided to knit blankets- one for each of us. We each chose a color- Janny did all the research and ordering. Then we chose patterns- one horizontal

Guiness Sock

We interupt this knitting program to bring you a knitted slipper sock. Oh, wait, this has since been ripped out (several times) and replaced with a new version without the middle stripe of oatmeal color. I have no idea why I keep starting new projects, when I have so many other projects on the needles. I don't think any of them qualify as "languishing" but the knitting at knoon sweater for my daughter is getting close. This project has spent a long time in my husband's head. I'll tell you, making a knitted version of what is in someone else's head is no easy task. Yeesh. I have never knit anything for my hubby. He DOES NOT wear sweaters....except the one that I knit for my Dad and then re-worked the collar to suit him. The only knitted hat he wears is from the 70's and has snoopy on it. He wears specific motorcycle gloves. What does that leave? Knitted boxers? Well, it leaves knitted socks. He's been watching me knit these for others (and

Another project from LMKG

Here is a sweater from Last Minute Knitted Gifts- my current source for projects : ) I made it for my tiny elf after the first sweater I made for her only fit her for a day- I thought I could do a lot more knitting right after she was born- HA! It didn't take long to knit and I only made two little adjustments. I made the body length much longer than the pattern called for. I wanted good coverage and that's what I got. I also made button holes and put buttons on it rather than the beads being pushed through the band. As an aside, you have to really go by the measurements of the child and not the "sizing" in the book to pick the right size. This was the 2 year old size, and she was closer to one year. I am thrilled with it. The yarn was Debbie Bliss Merino DK. I loved the yarn and the pattern and I will definitely make another one of these- for the elder elf- here she is trying it on for me!