Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Kittens who are smitten with mittens....



There was some concern these mittens would be thumb less, but alas, all digits are covered. I made these with a very utilitarian objective- to help keep the girls warm when we get back to Ohio. Soon, these little projects became a calming outlet for my nervous energy about the trip in general. What I discovered is that they are FUN to make!






I was surprised by my tender feelings when my children donned their new little mittens. I really felt warm and fuzzy inside- it seemed, through my craft, I was able to somehow hold their hands from a distance......


The knitty gritty:
Yarn:- Knitpicks Swish Worsted in sunshine and
Knitpicks Wool of the Andes in mulled wine

Pattern: Knitters Handy Book of Patterns by Ann Budd - When I purchased this book years ago, (actually I think my mom bought it for me when I lived in Washington, perhaps California?) I had no idea what a treasure it is until this project. First you start with the yarn and then you can find a pattern. This book does all the work for you by giving a wide variety of patterns with a wide variety of gauges. Excellent resource...she's done all the calculations for you! Perfect.


Waving bye-bye before our voyage to the motherland! (and the home of MANY local yarn shops- hurray!)

P.S. It was all I could do to stop myself from embroidering O-H-I-O- one letter per glove....it's ingrained in my brain : )

3 comments:

nanny said...

Great mittens on very sweet baby girls! O-H-I-O! And OH I OH need mittens in O-H-I-O, temperatures today at 6, schools closed because of the cold. The mittens may be nice indoors as well. The knitting looks doable for a newbee knitter and several O-H-I-Oans are eager to try. Our newest knitter , our wine guru, is knitting and after completing her first very lovely scarf, totally solo, she'll be happy to make matching mittens. She mumbled something about having to learn to knit in college as an art major. We are elevated! The blog is always a grand resource and inspiration to do..... thanks.
Can't wait to see the little hands in the mittens in O-H-I-O!

TiaJuana said...

I'm sure those mittens are just the things for a cold Midwestern winter. Hope all are well and are enjoying home time.

Shauna said...

Super cute mittens on adorable kittens! You're such an awesome Mommio!!