Skip to main content

Sam's Cabled Vest....

The Ravelympics (trying to knit a sweater in 2 weeks, which starts at 3 am local time tonight) has spurred me to finish off several long-languishing projects and to tie up some loose ends, if you will : )

It has been my goal to make a garment for my nephew. There have been a couple of hats, but I wanted something more substantial for him. I don't know if the little fellow was ever able to wear the baby bunting I made for him- his size was a little "healthier" than I had anticipated, so if it fit at all, it was probably for about 10 minutes.

Enter the cabled vest:

Moose seemed like a good model- I don't care for those pictures with creepy-looking dolls in them.


The cables seem to allow for more stretch in the middle- just where a little one might need it if he had a bit of a Buddha belly...




The pattern is on the PurlSoho blog, and it is VERY well-written. I don't think I have ever knit such a thorough pattern before. It knitted up pretty quickly. I learned a new technique- knitting without a cable needle- as seen in pics on Grumperina's blog. If I hadn't, I think it would have taken me until Sam's 5th birthday to finish it. This project was a nice combination of easy+interesting=perfect :)


The yarn is a merino, machine-washable from our local store here in Oderzo, Italy. I got the buttons in Sacile. I modified the pattern to make it larger by using bigger needles and I made it a little longer to try to ensure good coverage- we'll see!



My lovely assistants- they always think it's so fun to go outside in their socks...I guess it's the little things in life that make it fun.


No animals were harmed in these pictures.

Comments

nanny said…
Beautiful! The sweater looks great. I have a friend with a new grandson, and if the pattern isn't too hard, I'd almost want to give it a shot ( I like making cables.) The sweater will be a favorite I am sure. Our little Vannas did a great job with the presentaion as well as Moose.

Popular posts from this blog

Move over Granny....

So, I have mentioned the "c" word before and now I have officially finished a crochet scarf- albeit a while ago. Someohow the post got lost in the din. Interestingly, My Man, really isn't a fan of this scarf soley because it's crochet. How amusing that in his mind crochet is linked with Grannies! Apparently there are others who share his feelings. (Nanny-O? Mimi-O?) I just can't see it, I really can't. I think crochet is lovely and am exceedingly proud at having taught myself...well, with a lot of help ( Happy Hooker ). In the beginning I bought this kit from Lion Brand- oh, about 5 years ago. It could have been more, I am not sure. I started once and gave up. Then I got invited to Ravelry and was taking pics of my stash and I found it. I decided to give it another try. After I got about half of the scarf done, I didn't like the pattern, so I decided to make a variation of one from the aforementioned Happy Hooker book. And now, it looks like this...

70's Kitty Hat

Did I really never publish this? What a blast from the past. All I remember is that the hat fit The Fonz the best :) I guess it's along the line of the pussycat hat!

Mini sweater....

It's so fun to knit for pets because: 1.) it's a fast knit 2.) the victim always looks so cute in their sweater : ) This sweater is for Jake, a little puppy we babysat for 3 weeks. This is Jake not sitting in his new sweater. I made up the pattern by doing the math. It was a quick knit- mostly because he weighs 6 pounds. The yarn is leftover Encore Bulky from a baby bunting- I used this pattern as a prototype for one for Fonzie. This is Jake still not sitting. This is Jake sitting in his new sweater : )