Skip to main content

Crossing the finish line.....



These little mitts were started a while ago. I fell out of love with them at some point and, sadly, they were languishing at the bottom of some knitting bag with only one thumb left to knit!!! I eagerly finished them up before the Ravelympics started. I realize the Olympics only lasted 2 weeks, but I really felt inspired to complete several UFOs. Hurray!



As you can see from these pics, the mitts look pretty cute. The pattern is nice enough and the yarn was pretty.




But this next picture may show when I stopped feeling the love.


You see, as you increase the stitch count along the gussets for the thumb, the pattern becomes a bit wonky. For this glove, I just let the space grow between the spirals.....not really the best looking pattern I have ever seen.



Then for this glove, when the numbers were right, I started another spiral to see how that looked. You can see it here in the pic, it just starts out of no where.

So, they are finished and I have worn them several times. I simply put the wonky sides on facing down, along my palms. No big deal, but not a pattern I would want to use as a gift, nor would I want to make them again. Oh well. I still have a TON of the yarn left, so I will have to stash it for later.

Pattern: Winter Wonderland Mitts by Kristin Handen
Yarn: Dream in Color- Smooshy, fingering weight
Needles: size 4's
I couldn't actually find the pattern on their website.....maybe they took it off?

The yarn was wonderful and very soft...maybe I'll use the rest for some baby booties!

For the first time in my life, I have knit something that I am a little embarrassed about....and no it's not a string bikini or any of the items listed as "Naughty" on Ravelry! It's a "neckwarmer" but both my hubby and good friend saw it and shouted- "It's a dickey! Oh My Gosh-- you made a dickey!"

So, I am hesitant about divulging information- I know my friend wants to paste my picture all over facebook, BUT I have been wearing it a lot and I do LOVE it!!!!! Shhh, it's a secret!

Comments

nanny said…
A dickey!!!!!!! Too funyy. One of my friends at school just got a dickey with a string to tighten it....the beads hanging from the strings are quite attractive, byt you are right it is a dickey with strangling power. Will forward a photo soon. Power to the dickeys...they make a comeback. I thought the glovelets look good, pretty yarn and I am glad they are being worn. I'm proud that you finished some of your unfinished. I need to take a lesson.
Unknown said…
I love the gauntlets! I like the quirky pattern too--I'd wear that side up! Cuute color!

I'd also like to order 1 dickie, please! Oh, wait! That was last week's date!! Meuwahhhhhhhhhh!

Popular posts from this blog

Friendship Blanket Done.....

To say our little knit group was "close knit" is the perfect cliche! When we moved to Italy, I desperately missed having a knitting circle and the weekly meet-ups. I tried for a long time to find other knitters- then I decided to create a few of my own. I started offering knitting classes. It went well, I am proud to say everyone who signed up WAS able to learn to knit. There was a teen-age girl, however, who was very resistant. At some point during this time, I remembered that a woman from my Italian language class had mentioned that she liked to knit. Then I met my dear friend Stacy who had the bug to learn how to knit. So there! I created my own little group! We were intermittent and not very focused, but boy did we have fun! I really looked forward to our meet ups. Then, like all good things, our friend Janny had to move. We decided to knit blankets- one for each of us. We each chose a color- Janny did all the research and ordering. Then we chose patterns- one horizontal

Guiness Sock

We interupt this knitting program to bring you a knitted slipper sock. Oh, wait, this has since been ripped out (several times) and replaced with a new version without the middle stripe of oatmeal color. I have no idea why I keep starting new projects, when I have so many other projects on the needles. I don't think any of them qualify as "languishing" but the knitting at knoon sweater for my daughter is getting close. This project has spent a long time in my husband's head. I'll tell you, making a knitted version of what is in someone else's head is no easy task. Yeesh. I have never knit anything for my hubby. He DOES NOT wear sweaters....except the one that I knit for my Dad and then re-worked the collar to suit him. The only knitted hat he wears is from the 70's and has snoopy on it. He wears specific motorcycle gloves. What does that leave? Knitted boxers? Well, it leaves knitted socks. He's been watching me knit these for others (and

Sent with love across the miles....

I think that could be the title for all my recent knitting endeavours. My not-so-little sister is the recipient of these little goodies. It's an awesome, quick knit. The color makes me think of beautiful Washington State- I wish I had more leftover. Project specs: Hand/Wrist Warmers from Last Minute Knitted Gifts Yarn-Aurora 8 Because of the stretchy nature of the pattern, they fit almost all hands.... almost. (Yes, sister dear, I did reknit the sweater...there are pics somewhere on this blog. Oh, and the washing instructions- hand wash in cold water, roll in towels to get rid of the excess water and then lay flat to dry.)